Skip to main content

My thoughts..

  Alright, so I'm going to get real for just a second. And bear in mind, as I sit here typing this post out, my heart is racing. Why? Because that's what anxiety does to people in moments of raw, unfiltered reality. It's scary. But what I have to say needs to be said. 

"People make time for who they want to make time for. People text, call and reply to people they want to talk to.  Never believe anyone who says they're too busy.  If they wanted to be around you, they would."

  I've seen this quote, and similar ones, circulating Facebook a lot over the last few months. Every time I read them, I scroll past thinking that the person who posted it just doesn't understand. And honestly, that's all it is.  A complete misunderstanding of my world.  But the thing is, it's not just my world. And so many others who live in a world like mine don't have the strength to stand up and make their voices heard. 

  Well, I guess it's my turn to be strong. It's my turn to stand up for myself and anyone else who can't. What this post says, may be true for some, but it isn't for everyone. I know. I've been the person who says, "Sorry, I've been so busy," when someone asks when we can hang out. I've been the person who says, "I just don't have time right now," when someone invites me to lunch. 

  You want the truth? I'm not busy and I have plenty of time. I'm a stay at home mother of 2 rambunctious but ordinarily easy children. We don't have sports or dance or swimming or music lessons (yet). I'm not running my ass off doing errands or cleaning house all day everyday. Most of the time I'm sitting on the couch in my sweats and a hoodie watching my kids play or watch Monster High or PJ Masks, depending on which kid gets control of the remote for the moment. 

  "People text, call and reply to people they want to talk to."

  I can't count how many times I've written out a text only to delete it before I send it because I just know that I'll be an annoyance to whoever it was meant for. I can't count how many times I've let calls go to voicemail because I'm to scared to answer the phone. And I can't count how many messages have gone without reply simply because I don't know how to respond. Does this actually mean I don't want to talk to people? No, it means I'm saving myself a panic attack because my psychological stability is more important than sending a text. 

 "Never believe anyone who says they're 'too busy'. If they wanted to be around you, they would." 

  What an awful misconception. A few years ago I found a passage explaining why people with anxiety/depression have a tendency to say, "I've been so busy." It really gripped me because something finally made sense. I've always told people that I'm busy, even if I'm not. I never really understood why. I guess it's been a way to escape from commitment. And it's not that I don't want to spend time with people I love. Most of the time I'm longing for adult conversation and a reason to get out of the house. But when it comes down to it, most of the time, I hold myself back. I want to be around you. I just can't convince myself that it's OK. 

  The way my brain is wired makes simple things complex. For normal people, leaving the house,  answering a phone call, or making one for that matter, are all normal everyday activities that we don't think twice about.  They're just done. The amount of energy and convincing it takes to do any of these things puts me in literal pain. So, in most cases, the best way to avoid that, is to just not. 

 Trying to convince myself that life is good beyond my closed doors and silenced phone is like trying to get a 2 month old to potty train. It's so unrealistic for me. So if you want to believe that just because "I'm busy" it means that I don't want you in my life. That I don't want to talk. That I don't want you around. That you're not important to me. By all means, believe it. But I know that it's not true, and I know that I'm not alone. All I can ask is that you do some research. Just google the effects of anxiety or depression. Because for people who suffer from either of these illnesses, everyday tasks seem impossible. Even keeping in touch with people we care about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes.

It's amazing to me how uptight we can get when something big happens . I've decided to refrain from sharing on my Facebook the recent news pertaining to the LDS church, and it's stance on gay marriage with the addition of not allowing children in same-sex families to be baptized until they are of legal age and no longer living with their parents. Mostly because, quite frankly, I'm over it. I'm seeing it shared by both sides and both are shamelessly arguing why it's right or wrong. I'll admit, at first I was sad. And it didn't make sense to me. But I've since evaluated other's views and retraced my own views and decided that it doesn't affect me much and I'm not going to let it get to me. What I'm sad about now, is the way we are all treating each other because of these "changes". And seeing people I love dearly being bashed because of what they believe in, regardless of which side they are on. Why do we do this to each

When to Open Up and When to Shut Up.

I've been battling myself a lot recently. This goes back to the "grey areas" I mentioned in the last post. After some of the things I've been dealing with as of late, I've mostly decided that I'm going to start opening my mouth. You know, express my opinions, concerns, frustrations, etc. I've always been the kind of person to just shut up and deal unless someone really strikes a nerve. However, lately I've found that holding everything in has taken a toll on me. And when someone strikes a nerve, instead of being able to just express whatever I feel the need to express, I blow up. It's really not good.  My struggle is, I don't know where to draw the line. Or IF I even should draw a line. Should I just open up about everything? Should I only open up about the things that really relate to me (good or bad)? I love the idea of being about to just spill and have a sense of peace that I'm just being myself. I like the idea of having the mindset